Welcome to Rainy River District School Board

Property & Education Taxes

How Do I Direct My Tax Support

Make sure your tax support designation is English Public. When you designate yourself as an English Public school supporter, you help foster a strong political voice through your elected representative (Trustee).

To verify that you are registered as an English Public school supporter:
- check the assessment section of your Tax Bill or Property Assessment Notice from MPAC
- check your Voter Information Card

The Application for Direction of School Support form enables any person to apply to have their school support included or revised on the assessment roll by sending the completed form to the Regional Assessment Commissioner. The collection of the information on the form is authorized under the Assessment Act, and any personal information is confidential and protected under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

The information will be used to direct your school taxes; to prepare the voters' lists for municipal and school board elections; to help with municipal and school board planning.

RE: Changes to Collection of Unorganized Property/Education Taxes

Effective January 1, 2009, the Province of Ontario has implemented tax reform on unorganized taxes. Under this reform, school boards are no longer the taxing authority in unorganized areas. As a result of this reform, the Rainy River District School Board can no longer collect payment or changes of account information ie; change of name or address.
The new service provider responsible for issuance/collection of taxes is the Provincial Land Tax Office in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Any questions should be forwarded to [email protected] for a response or call the following:

Local Calls: 1-807-625-2122
Toll Free: 1-866-400-2122
TTY: 1-888-321-6774

Please forward tax payments to the following address:

Cheque or money order payable to:
City of Thunder Bay
Provincial Land Tax
P.O. Box 58
Thunder Bay, Ontario
P7C 0A5

Each property is identified by an Assessment Roll number. This is a nineteen digit number broken in sections by dashes, ie; 5902-000-000-0000-0000.This can be found on the upper right hand side of a previous tax bill.

The Assessment Roll number must be present or the payment will not be credited and correspondence will be returned to the taxpayer requesting the Assessment Roll number.
Non-Sufficient Funds cheques will lead to the NSF Fee of $35 (as per the O. Reg. 754/92 under Section 8.1 of the Financial Administration Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter F.12) being charged to the customer’s account.

For any legislative questions regarding Provincial Land Taxes call:

Ministry of Revenue Toll Free: 1-866-668-8297
Ministry of Revenue TTY: 1-800-263-7776

For any questions regarding property assessment call:

Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) Toll Free: 1-866-296-6722
Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) TTY: 1-877-889-6722

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.